Sunday 17 March 2013

REVIEW: Illamasqua Skin Base Foundation

Illamasqua's skin base foundation has quickly found its way into my favourites list. Before I go into my review let's take a look at what Illamasqua says about it.

"Inspired by the cult Asian market Beauty Balm creams, Skin Base Foundation is a brand new, refined formula unlike anything on the UK market. Easily blendable, it effortlessly creates a perfect complexion, and like the entire Illamasqua foundation range, is undetectable in a professional HD environment. Suitable for all skin types, it smoothes, softens and conditions your skin whilst providing natural, buildable coverage."

The first time I used this foundation I could not get my head around the way it feels so light yet gives effortlessly full coverage. It looks so natural on the skin unlike other full coverage foundations I've tried and just feels like you're wearing no foundation at all. It blends like a dream, melts right into the skin and gives an airbrushed flawless finish and doesn't flashback as it has no SPF. You can easily thin out the coverage, if you like, using either a moisturiser or a setting spray (I use ELF's mist and set). I find applying it using a buffing brush or a stippling brush gives best results. Illamasqua is also famous for catering for theatrical/artistic makeup, so the foundation (as most of their products) is extremely pigmented in comparison to makeup from other high end brands such as Dior or Chanel which are more about packaging and band name than the product itself.

Illamasqua Skin Base Foundation

This foundation retails at £27 here in the UK, which is a pretty average price for a higher end foundation. The packaging is a small plastic squeeze bottle which some people frown upon thinking it is very cheap etc, but to be quite honest I prefer it over the 'luxurious' glass packaging. It's easy to travel with, and easy to finish off the last drop without wasting any product. Another thing which makes me love this foundation is the smell, it smells of caramel and vanilla! Honestly, such a big plus for me and my sensitive nose. 



Illamasqua Skin Base swatch (7.5)

Illamasqua caters for pretty much all shades, from the very pale to the very dark (there's a pure white shade in this range which is useful in lightening foundations). If buying online, finding the right shade is pretty straightforward and it tells you what undertone each shade has (yellow, pink, neutral). I was initially matched at a counter to the shade 6.5 which I found was too light for me (around a NC20 in Mac) so I then went onto the website and decided I was a 7.5 and when I bought it I was extremely pleased with the shade match. It's a little bit darker than an NC25 and much yellower (which is good for me), meaning it will also match my summer skintone. 



The finish of this foundation I would say is semi-matte, and it doesn't dry too quickly so you have time to blend it well. It suits all skintypes, but I would advise people with severely dry skin to moisturise really well beforehand and with very oily skin to powder afterwards and use a mattifying moisturiser and primer.


Thank you for reading and I hope this post was beneficial :) 
For any inquiries or questions don't hesitate to email me at lifelongpercussion@gmail.com or comment below.

Habiba xxx